- Staff Directory
- High School Graduation & College Entrance Requirements
- PE Green Sheet (Policies)
- PE Elective Course Descriptions
High School Graduation Requirements
MONTA VISTA HIGH SCHOOL’S PHYSICAL EDUCATION VISION IS:
COMMIT TO BE FIT!
Physical Education 9th Grade CORE Program:
This is the basic course that is required of all freshman students. This course includes instruction in beginning and intermediate skills, basic rules, history, and etiquette in a variety of sports. To complete the foundation program a student is required to complete the objectives of an activity in each of the following seven areas:
Team Sport Ind. / Dual Sport Tumbling Health/Fitness Aquatic Activity* Combative Rhythmic Activity
General Attendance and Tardy Policy:
All physical education students are expected to attend class regularly and remain in the designated P.E. area until the passing bell rings at the end of the period. Any student outside this area will be considered cutting class and the instructor or campus supervisor will adjust the attendance record to reflect this cut. All students not at their roll call station five (5) minutes after the tardy bell will be marked tardy.
-EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENT BEHAVIOR-
All students are expected to act with the highest standards of honesty, integrity, and fairness.
· Any student who exhibits behavior, which, in the judgment of the teacher, indicates dishonesty on an examination, assignment (including those electronically produced), or in-class activity, or who aids in the dishonesty of a fellow student, shall receive no credit for that work and/ or the loss of up to one full letter grade (10% on the grading scale) for the semester. Any second incident of dishonesty will result in a grade "F" for the semester.
· Any student involved in any activity for the purpose of altering or falsifying records, removing or copying of materials, including those either written or electronically produced, shall be disciplined by the principal or designee. Action may include: detention; suspension; a grade of "F" for the semester; permanent dismissal from the course with the loss of credit.
-Special Attendance Procedures Due to Medical Concerns-
Students missing or on restricted/modified activity for 3 days or less:
• Student’s parent must call in the absence to the attendance office and/or provide note to teacher. Student is responsible for all missing work. Missing or restricted/modified activity for more than 3 days:
• Students must provide a note from doctor. Student is responsible for all missing work.
Missing or restricted/modified activity for more than 2 weeks:
• Students must provide note from parent and/or doctor and must choose between the following three choices:
1. Students may continue the course with a modified curriculum in which they are only eligible to receive a pass / fail grade.
2. Students may drop the class and retake at a later time.
3. Students may make-up all missing work and remain eligible for an “A”, “B”, “C” letter grade
Students who miss a skill test, fitness test and/or written test due to medically excused non- participation or absence will be expected to make up the test(s). Make up test are be arranged with individual instructors for a time that is mutually agreeable. Students are responsible to notify PE instructor prior to school-related absences.
A student's grade is based upon the accumulation of overall participation points, skill points, portfolio points, testing points, and/or bonus points (max. of 10 points per grading period). Please note that the bulk of the grade comes from daily participation in-class activity.
Participation points are front-loaded at the beginning of each unit. Reasons for losing points from the participation portion of each unit include the following:
(1) Excused absence = -5
(2) Block Day= -8
(2) 1st unexcused tardy = -1
2nd unexcused tardy = -2
3rd + unexcused tardy= -3
(3) Non-participation/disruptive behavior = -1 to -5
(4) Class cut = -10
(5) Partial clothes cut = -1 each item
(6) Full non-suit = -3
Point Breakdown for Grading Units:
90 -100 = A 70 - 79 = C 59 and below = Fail
80 - 89 = B 60 - 69 = D
Opportunities for Make-Up:
Students may make up missed points by participating in fitness activities during tutorial time, by attending school sporting events, and specific personal assignments approved by the individual instructor. Additional makeups will be available based on personal circumstances. It is the student’s responsibility to see the appropriate instructor for setting up any necessary makeups.
Maximum points allowable for each grading period is 10.
An appropriate PE uniform includes a Monta Vista PE t-shirt, MV PE shorts, socks, and athletic gym shoes with rubber soles. Sweats may be worn over uniform. Purchase your uniform through the MV store online.
Visit Phys Ed website for more information!
If you have questions or feel you are not doing as well as you would like, see the instructor before or after class. Teachers may also be contacted for additional help during the tutorial times. If additional help is needed, it would be best to schedule an appointment with your instructor. Department office phones: Boys: 366-7629 Girls: 366-7630
Check to be sure your locker is locked at all times! The PE staff will NOT be responsible for lost or stolen articles. Do not share your combination, locker, or PE uniform with anyone. Anyone caught stealing in the locker rooms will be turned over to the campus supervisor and a police report will be filed.