Monta Vista Library Policies and Information for Students
In order to provide a comfortable, accessible, and study-conducive library environment, the MVHS Library Rules are as follows:
Students are expected to be RESPECTFUL of other students, library facility and materials, and teachers and staff at all times. This includes:
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the library. Water is OK.
- In the main study area, tables are limited to 8 chairs each, one student per chair.
- Students are expected to find a seat in order to stay in the library. Students who stand around or sit on the floor will be asked to find a seat or leave. This is how we measure capacity and ensure that we do not go over the 210 capacity limit.
- Smart phone use is limited to academic purposes only such as checking School Loop and academic research.
- Students may borrow textbooks within the library. Students are expected to return the textbook to the checkout counter. Textbooks that are left out will not be available until the following week.
- Game playing of any kind is not allowed in the library.
For Unscheduled Students (Students with Free Periods):
- Classes have priority in the library over students who have free periods. The library is closed to unscheduled students when classes are in session. Check the white board at the front before entering.
- Students should see their Assistant Principal to obtain an “Off-Campus Pass.” Students must present the pass to library staff to be in the library during periods 2-6.
- Quiet study time will be enforced for unscheduled during periods 1-7. The cafeteria is open for group study and ongoing conversation. Students who do not study quietly will be asked to leave. The library staff reserves the right to close the library if it is noisy.
Use of the Library during Tutorial:
- Use of the library during Tutorial is restricted to academic use of the Internet and computers, quiet study, or use of library resources.
- Group meetings during Tutorial should occur in classrooms or in the cafeteria.
Student Use of Materials:
- Students need their ID card or ID number to check out books and videos from the library. Students must check out materials with a library staff member before taking them from the building.
- Materials are checked out for a two-week period, but may be renewed for more time.
- Students will be charged the cost of replacing any lost or damaged materials.
- Reference materials must be used in the library and are not available for check out.
- Students must first return any overdue library materials before checking out new items.
Student Use of Computers:
- FUHSD Technology Use Policy states that computers are to be used for EDUCATIONAL purposes only.
- Students receive 50 free copies per year, as tracked by our Print Monitor system. The status can be viewed from an icon on the lower right toolbar. Students can add prints to their account by adding money in ASB.
- Use email, School Loop, or a USB drive to save documents between home and school.
- Library staff monitor students computer use as much as possible, but students are ultimately bound to what they signed in the district’s Acceptable Use Policy.
Jody Mitchell, School Library Specialist
Laura Utile, Teacher Librarian
Nico Flores, Assistant Principal